Frequently Asked Questions


 During what hours are County Offices open?

Monday through Friday, 9:00am - 5:00pm, except for holidays and weather emergencies.

 How can I contact my local elected officials?

Follow this link for a contact listing of all local elected officials.

 How can I get an item added to the Board of Commissioners Meeting Agenda or sign up to speak?

Contact Joleatha Chestnutt, Clerk to the Board at

 How do I sign up to receive emergency notification calls or calls about disruptions in water services?

Sign up for Code Red, the third-party software service used by Gates County to contact residents in the event of a public need. Contacts range from disaster preparedness to utility system outages. Sign Up Here!

 How do I find my polling place?

If you are unsure of your precinct location, check the Secretary of State Precinct Finder page. After a few questions to obtain your home address, it will provide the precinct number and location where you will go to vote as well as list which district elections within the state you are able to vote.

Or you may contact the Gates County Elections Office at (252) 357-1780.

 Do I need a demolition permit for my old house?

Yes, to demolish any structure larger than 12x12’ a Demolition Permit is required.  This is for safety reasons and some structures need to be inspected for possible Asbestos which will need to be moved prior to demolition.

 How deep should a water line be?

You should place water lines a minimum of 12" deep.

 Is a permit needed to replace shingles?

No, a permit is not required.

 Is a permit needed to replace windows or doors?

No, a permit is not required.

 What building size requires a permit?

Any structure with a dimension over 12' would require a permit. Permit Applications

 What can you burn without a permit?

Only natural grown items from your property can be burnt without a permit. Burn Permit

Paper forms can be completed as Brinkley’s, Kittrell’s, and Tarheel

 What wind zone is Gates?

Wind Zone 1 or 120mph

 Who do I call for septic tank issues?

Health Department 252-357-1380

 What does the Tax Department do?

The Gates County Tax Department lists, assesses, and collects taxes on all real and personal property, including improvements made to real property, untagged vehicles, and vehicles with permanent tags. In addition to tax collection, the Tax Department also collects monies for the three drainage districts, as well as list, bill, and collect taxes for the Town of Gatesville. 

  •  Appraises real estate, mobile homes, motor vehicles, boats, motors, and   business personal property for ad valorem for property tax purposes.
  • Calculates, creates, and collects all real and personal property taxes for all taxing jurisdictions within Gates County.

  • Receives and processes applications for tax exemptions, exclusions, and deferments.

  • Updates and maintains current addresses for real estate property owners for tax billing.

  • Provides tax information to the public and legal professionals.



  • Set property tax rates. Tax rates are set by the Board of County Commissioners by June 30th of each year.
  • Determine how taxes are used.
  • Have available State and Federal income tax forms in the office.
  • Issue business licenses.
  • Have available information on property liens and/or personal judgments.
  • Handle maintenance of streets, roads, highways, or ditches; see NC Department of Transportation.
  • Issue license registrations for motor vehicles; see NC Division of Motor Vehicles.

 What is the NC Tax & Tag Together Program

Beginning in September 2013, your annual vehicle inspection, registration renewal, and vehicle property tax will be due the same month. Only one payment-made either in person, online, or by mail-is required to pay both the annual tag and tax for your vehicle. All current tax and tag amounts due are payable to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles. Only past due vehicle tax amounts will be accepted by the Tax Department.

  For more information, please visit the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles.